Loose motion or watery stools are not a very serious problem and can be easily treated at home if taken care of at an early stage. Loose motions are caused due to a viral infection in the gut. This infection may be due to intake of inadequate food, some allergy, or side effect of some medicine or treatment.
A person suffering from loose motions passes watery stools very frequently, resulting in loss of essential nutrients from the body. It can leave a person fatigued and very weak, hence should be taken care of immediately.
Here are a few effective home remedies that are very effective in controlling loose motions.
- Lemon Juice – This is the simplest home remedy that is easily available in every household. Lemon is full of anti-inflammatory properties that instantly soothe your intestine. Lemon juice restores the body’s pH and prevents bloating and weakness. It is rich in minerals such as Magnesium and Potassium that help in replenishing the nutrients lost from the body. Lemon juice can be seasoned with coriander, mint, and black salt. These ingredients make it more effective as coriander leaves are good for digestion, mint has anti-viral properties, and increases the flow of digestive juices, thereby providing relief.
- Cumin – Cumin is full of anti-bacterial properties that eliminate harmful bacteria from the intestine and reduces the inflammation in the stomach lining. It is very effective in maintaining the electrolyte balance of the body and rehydrating it. It can be consumed in the form of tea to reduce the frequency of bowel movements.
- Banana – Your body loses essential nutrients because of frequent loose motions. Eating a banana can be very helpful as it is rich in electrolytes and potassium that are essential for the body to function properly. Bananas improve digestive health and help recover quickly by giving instant energy to the body. They also bulk up the stool and restrict bowel movements.
- Yogurt – Probiotic-rich bacteria are excellent for your gut health and yogurt is full of probiotics. Intake of yogurt helps fight the disease-causing bacteria and promotes healthy bowel movements by replenishing your body with good bacteria. It is useful for people suffering from constipation as well.
- Ginger – Loose motions cause inflammation of the inner lining of the stomach and ginger is very effective in soothing the inflammation. Ginger is commonly known as a wonder spice as it has many medicinal properties and is a sure-shot remedy for many diseases. Ginger stimulates the enzymes present in the stomach, treats sluggish motion, and improves digestion.
- Pomegranate – Pomegranate is a very refreshing fruit that is also known to aid digestion. It has anti-inflammatory properties that instantly soothe the stomach, providing relief from Diarrhoea.
- Oat Bran – Oat bran is filled with fibre and essential minerals such as calcium and magnesium. These minerals help to solidify the watery stools and provide instant relief from loose motions. It is also helpful in restoring the pH value of the body.
- Fluid Intake – One of the major problems with Loose motions is dehydration. Your body loses a lot of water and essential electrolytes which results in ill health. To manage diarrhoea effectively, you need to replace the lost water content and electrolytes that are needed for various bodily processes. Drink plenty of fluids, fruit juices, clear broth, or whichever drink you like. However, there are certain drinks and items that you should avoid when suffering from a bout of diarrhoea. These are caffeinated drinks, sugary drinks, soda, alcohol, etc. Try to avoid dairy products if you suffer from lactose intolerance.
- Take a Bland Diet – There are certain foods that your body tolerates better than others, so you should take care of your diet and eat food that can be digested easily. The BRAT diet is recommended for people suffering from diarrhoea. This includes bananas, rice, apple sauce, and toast. Bananas are very beneficial as they replenish the lost potassium in your body. You can also eat baked potatoes and light chicken soup.
It is always advisable to try out some easy home remedies for loose motion before going for medicines as home remedies are completely safe and do not have any side effects.