Relocating to a new house is challenging, whether you are relocating locally or across the borders. However, if you are a pet parent, you will have to do a little more hard work than others. Well, you have an added member in the family that took the one with furs and hence the additional hard work. But, fret not, there are almost 6 out of 10 American families that have a pet.
The best USA local moving companies state that moving with a pet is a little different than a normal move. Why? Because besides taking care of your belongings and comfort, you will also have to take care of the pet’s comfort. After all, the health and happiness of your four-legged family member is equally important.
Even a minor change in the routine and place of living of the pet can cause a lot of distress to them. Introducing them to a new environment can be a lot disturbing for them and hence you need to be very careful and precautious.
Tips for moving with pets:
1- Keep the pet in mind before hiring the moving truck:
- It is important that you check with your veterinarian about injecting a mild sedative to the pet. This is a good way to move the pet safely. The lesser they see and feel, the more comfortably they can be relocated.
- If you are choosing an animal crate for the movie, you must make the animal comfortable in using it. Keep the crate open for the animal and let it go in and out of it at its free will.
- Take your pet along with you on small car trips. This will prove very helpful for the pet if you are planning to move to the new house in the car with the pet along.
- Make sure you have a leash and a collar readily available for the pet if the need arises.
- Get a clear ID tag for the pet’s collar. In the modern times, you can also choose to have a microchip installed in the tag. This makes tracking the pet very easy if in case it is lost.
2- At the time of moving:
- Try and keep the pets away from the entire process as much as possible.
- If you are moving the pet in the rental truck, you must know that the pets should always be put in the cabin of the truck where the driver can keep an eye on them. The driver will ensure that the temperature is right for the pet to be comfortable at all times. Placing the pet in the cargo box is the biggest mistake you can commit. Besides, it is also against the ground rules. The temperature at the back of the truck can soar to dangerous levels which can prove lethal for the pets.
- To make the pet comfortable during the journey make sure you compliment them with their favorite stuff including food, blanket and maybe music.
- In case you are moving with small pets like fishes, rabbits and guinea pigs, make sure you keep them in a container at all times.
- If you are having a cross country move and taking a break in the middle, make sure there are pet-friendly arrangements made for your furry member of the family.
As soon as you arrive:
The change is as big for the pet as it is for you. Always remember that introducing your pet to a new place is a challenge that must be handled very carefully. It is better if you keep the pet in the trailer for a little longer so that you can make all the necessary arrangements for its safekeeping at home. Here is what you need to do:
- As soon as you reach the new house, make sure you unpack the pet’s belongings in the first phase. This must include a few toys, bedding and food items. When the pet will get familiar items as soon as it gets inside the house, it will be pleased to have its dear supplies in an entirely new place.
- The pet will be overwhelmed with the change and there are high chances that they may not be able to follow the toilet training initially. Moreover, it takes some time for the pets to get used to the new place in terms of sound and smell. Let the pet make itself comfortable.
These are some of the relocation tips that would make it easier for you and the pet to move into the new house. Follow them and make sure that your pet loves the new place as much you do. This will help you have a great start to a new phase of your life.