Do you know what 2100 Military time is? A method of measuring the time based on 24 hours of the day. Instead of dividing into two parts of 12 hours, it is a 24 hours clock.
The 24 hours clock is the convention of time-keeping in which the day runs from midnight to midnight, and is divided into 24 hours.
For instance- if it is 8:20 PM using a 12 hours clock notation. Then, 2100 Military time means it has been 20 hours, and 20 Minutes since last midnight. Moreover, you will read it as Twenty-One Hours.
On the same token, if it’s the beginning of the day then use 0000 (0 hours, or midnight), or else if it is the end of the day then use 2400 (Twenty-four hundred hours, or midnight).
24 hours ‘Military time’ is of great use for airlines, public transit, and the armed forces to avoid the confusion between A.M, and P.M hours.
What time is 2100 Military time? 2100 hours conversion guide?
Converting military time can be complicated, but not when you are aware of the conversion steps. Firstly, it’s essential to know the basics of Military time. It contains 4 digits where the first 2 are for hours, and the next 2 are for minutes. Here is a list of some simple steps to convert the military hours into a standard time.
- Divide the given time into hours, and minutes. For 2100 hours Military time it is 21 hours, and 00 minutes.
- Focus on whether the given time is greater than 1300 or not? 2100 is greater than it, so use the subtraction rules for hours 21-12=9 hours.
- Minutes are the same in both cases. So, 00 minutes is still the 00 minutes.
- Add the colon between calculated hours, and minutes. Finally, the result will be 9:00.
- As 2100 is greater than 1200 so as per the rule add PM to the calculated time. So, the result will be 9:00 PM hours.
Hence proved, that 2100 hours of military time is equal to 9:00 PM according to the standard time.
How to read, and write 2100 Military time?
We discussed above that how to convert, now let’s proceed with how to read, and write this specific time.
- 9:00 PM – 2100 hours – Twenty-one hundred hours
- 9:15 PM- 2115 hours- Twenty-one-fifteen-hours
- 9: 30 PM- 2130 hours- Twenty-one-thirty-hours
- 9:45 PM- 2145 hours- Twenty-one-forty- five hours
Points to remember-
Conversion of 2100 hours of military time is not a difficult task. Isn’t so? But, clarification of AM, and PM is important to be noted down-
- When the value of military time is greater than 1200 then it will be highlighted as PM
- Contrary to it, when it is less than 1200 then it will be AM
- 2400 (0000) is an exceptional case because it is considered as 12:00 AM.
- Standard, and Military time express minutes, and seconds in the same format.
- Military times are based on hundreds
- They are not the same as that of Civilian times.
Importance of military time over the standard time-
Imagine, you have a meeting next morning at 9 AM. You have done all the preparations for it but by mistake, you set the alarm of 9 PM instead of AM. Needless to say, that all your efforts go in vain by this single mistake.
This much is enough to understand the worth of 24 hours clock rather than, 12-hour variant. So, why we are giving preference to a 12-hour clock? Have a look at several other features to realize the worth of Military time in our daily lives.
- You manage your time better- There are 24 hours in a day, and it will be good to be reminded of it every time you look at your watch. For instance, you have a flight at 4pm, and it’s 9AM now. You’ll think that it’s 3 more hours to noon, and you got more hours to spare.
However, when using 2100 Military time you will know that you have 9 hours, and you will plan accordingly.
- It’s easier to calculate the duration of the event- If you are informed that an event runs from 1130 to 1630 then you can easily calculate that the event stretches for 5 hours. On the same token, it’s a difficult task to guess if you are informed that the event is from 11:30 AM to 4:30 PM.
- You save a lot of time, and paper- If military time is used, then you can save that efforts which you have wasted in saying, or writing AM, and PM.
Features of Military time-
The 24 hours clock is commonly used in specialized areas where the ambiguities of the 12-hour notation are deemed too cumbersome, inconvenient, and dangerous. The areas include- military, navigation, tourism, computing, logistics, and hospitals.
- No hours/minute separator is used while writing time.
- Leading zeros are always written out, and are required to be spoken. For example,-5:43AM is spoken, Zero five forty-three.
The 24-hour time system has been used for centuries by scientists, navigators, and astronomers. It is referred to as Military time that runs from midnight to midnight and is divided into 24 hours. This system is the most commonly used time notation, and is used by the International Standards.
A report by the government in the United Kingdom noted that Italy was the first to adopt this system. The usage of military time or 24-hour time is prevalent in most of the world, and applications.
This system of time-keeping counts from 0 at midnight, up to 24 till the following midnight. The greatest advantage of military time is clarity. Moreover, which enables you to avoid a lot of unnecessary errors.
For instance- 2100 Military time is equal to 9PM. As the clock starts from 0 AM, and after 1200 hours it will be equal to 12PM. Finally, 2100 will be taken as 9PM.
Military time avoids the confusion between AM, and PM. Hence, saves your priceless time.